Friday, July 18, 2008

Eastern (Albino) Corn Snake

A couple days ago, as I was shopping at my favorite (privately owned) pet store, the woman at the store, who seems to know how interested in animals I am, asked me if I wanted to adopt a corn snake. An albino corn snake at that! I said I'd think about, with not much conviction, after she told me that they eat frozen (thawed) pinkies twice a week. The next day I had talked myself into it, and Cornelius the Eastern Albino Corn Snake became an official member of the Furth Home Zoo.
Cornelius is freindly, curious, and even tempered snake, and he will stay pretty small all his life. Although snakes pretty much keep growing as long as they live, the life expectancey of a corn snake is, give or take, five to seven years. Corn snakes in general are native to the eastern part of the U.S. I believe there are corn snakes all over the world, but the particular breed I have (not albinos, of course; albinos are rare comodities that apear often in the pet world, but almost never in nature) can be found just about anywhere where there are rodents. Collors vary at an astonishing rate, from corn snake to corn snake. In the wild, they have a standard collor patern, but breeders have breed the most beautiful colors you could imagine. They say, if you let a corn snake go in the East (not in a city, obviously!) it could live happily on rodents and insects. (But you're NEVER supposed to let a pet animal go!!)

I think I should now clear something with you all, before you all go off an buy a pretty corn snake. Corn snakes DO NOT eat corn! Why are they called CORN snakes? Because they eat the rodents that eat that corn that's stored in the barn that Jack built.
"There's so many places to go on a wire shelf! It's hard not to get tangled!"


Cornelius is friendly, curious and even tempered. He LOVES to be handled! His favorite thing to do is climb up your arm and find a cozy dark, and warm spot, which is usually under your arm, and that REALLY tickles!

12 comments:

BuddingAuthor said...

Cornelious is so cool!

I do hope he does not bite! :-o

The Naturalist said...

He Doesn't, and even if he did, it would feel even less uncomfortable than someone lightly and quickly rubbing fine sandpaper on your skin. (I've been bitten by a Milk snake, and it is bigger, and it only made a red mark on my skin!)
Plus, snakes only bite whent they feel threatened, or if they think you're food. If i were to go touching a rodent, of sorts, and then stick my finger in front of cornelius, he would automatically strike at me, (he is incabable of doing harm to me, thouh)because, what smells like food, is food, to him! Snakes, especially captive bread snakes, are comfortable in hands that are warm, and allow them to slither freely about, without constricting them in any way.

BuddingAuthor said...

You learn something new everday!
Thanks for the info!

Unknown said...

I LOVE Cornelius! He does tickle so much. And his color - ! I can't wait to hold him again!!!

See you soon!

The Naturalist said...

Cornelius Likes you better than me, monica! I picked him up this morning, and he just riggled around trying to get comfortable the whole time! You certainly do have hot hands....snake freindly hands!

Emily of the North said...

Aw.. Cornelius looks like such an awesome little dude. ;-D

What do you feed him? I'm guessing it's not frozen pinkies...? >.o

lhopfan428 said...

Yeah, how would you get froen pinkies?

The Naturalist said...

ok guys...hold on to your hats....yes...it is frozen pinkies...yuck!

But it's not that yucky....really. Pinkies come from any commercial pet store pretty much. Because pinkies have all the nutrition a snake needs in it's diet, all in one item, they are a staple food in a snake diet. In the wild, corn snakes would eat other things like worms, crickets etc, but that would only be supplimentary to mice and pinkies. As a treat, I may find a worm or something...but I think I'll wait for a garder snake. The reason being because garder snakes eat such a variety of foods in the wild, it's alot of fun feeding them in captivity. They eat small feeder fish, worms, crickets, pinkies, and all sorts of insects.

Emily of the North said...

This might be another stupid question. :-P

But when you say pinkies you mean human pinkies? How would they get human pinkies at petstores? Are they donated or something...? x.x

The Naturalist said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Naturalist said...

They are baby mice. And they are five dollars a bag, and they are frozen and disgusting, and hard to look at. There's your info. If you can't stand even the thought of this, then you wouldn't want to consider a beautiful snake like cornelius for a pet...because...the bigger they get...the bigger the mice need to be....But it's less disgusting when the mice have their fur and everything.

The Naturalist said...

P.S.(THere is no such thing as a stupid question...)