Sunday, July 13, 2008

The Answer

Upon going back to the track this morning, and having another look at the nest, which had been played with by something, I came to the conclusion that it was not a bird's nest at all! Ah! I am learning, don't worry! I don't think I'll ever think a bird says "Scree!" and that a bird builds a nest like that of a field mouse! The reason I could come to this conclusion, is, because, whatever had played with it the previous night had left a spot exposed. It didn't appear to do much damage, to the babies, I mean. Four pinkies, as baby mice are called, lay fidgeting and stretching and sleeping, and doing whatever baby mice do. They were about an inch in lenth and about as fat as a medium sized carrot. They had no fur and thier eyes were not even open yet. They were just pink little babies in a nest! The marsupial mamma was nowhere to be seen, and the nest was in worse shape this time than it had been before. I fear these little critters won't make it to be soft furry brown things you can sometimes see in tall grasses in sunny fields.

1 comment: