Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Unusual Cookies


At school, near Christmas, we have a Cookie exchange, where each grade trades homemade cookies amongst each-other. Tired of the all too mundane chocolate chip, peanut butter, and deformed sugar cookies, I decided to spent a little extra time to make something truly unique. If you google 'unusual cookies', the first website that comes up is The British Larder. I decided it would be safe to use a recipe featured on the front page: Double Chocolate Crackle Sandwich Cookies. My batch of cookies turned out particularly unique since all the measurements were in grams, not cups and teaspoons etc. Something I didn't take into consideration at the time was that 100 grams of flour is not measured in the same way as 100 grams of butter. All and all, though, the recipe turned out surprisingly well, and the cookies were amazing!
The cookies turned out very soft, almost like little cakes. They were supposed to be crispy, but clearly some ingredients were not included in their correct proportions. Next, I made a meringue, by heating up egg whites and confectioner's sugar in a pot to pasteurize the egg, and then vigorously beating the mixture until it was light and fluffy. Then, I put this into a plastic bag with a whole cut in the corner, and squeezed it out into a pan into little wafers. Can you believe it took 45 minutes in a 150 F oven for the meringues to dry?!
To assemble the cookies, I took two cookies, spread raspberry jam on each side, and then put a meringue wafer between the two. This combination is very different, but very delicious. Here is the link to the British Larder site. The pastries and such look so good, I want to make them all...tonight!

http://www.britishlarder.co.uk/#axzz17TvmSY61

With so much extra eggs whites and sugar, I made a batch of delicious meringues as well.


Oh, and did I mention that I caught an ent doing pushups at the park the other day?

No comments: