Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Canoe Trip

Last week my family and some freinds went canoeing on the Husitonic in Kent, Ct. It was a mild day, mostly sunny, and about 70 degrees. Apart from the animals which I have described below, I saw some interesting small birds which I could not photograph.

The Great Blue Heron is the largest heron in North America, and because it is so adaptable with its diet, it is also very widespread throught the U.S. They can be seen during the day, wading near the shoreline and stalking their prey, which can consist of nearly anything, such as amphibians, fish, insects and other birds (believe it or not!). Although they are mostly diurnal (active by day), they can also be seen active durring night, foraging for food, or simply waiting for it to pass by. Because these herons are not very picky about what they eat, some have actually choked on prey that is too large for them. Interestingly, groups of herons can be called by many different names. Some are "battery", "pose", and "rookery", but my favorite is "a hedge of herons"!


And of course there are Canada Geese everywhere you look, even in unwanted places, such as airplane tarmacs...but here they are cute and not worisome.

Here is a butterfly we found, but I can't find what type it is.



And then a very tiny bug which flew onto my hand just as we were leaving.

1 comment:

lhopfan428 said...

That's sounds so fun.
I saw some sort of heron, a couple months ago...